ASBC LABS Meeting - Philadelphia
Led by Brewing Quality Lab Scientists, participants will receive hands-on training in USciences laboratories with established ASBC methods. The focus of this workshop is to train participants in Brewing Microbiology practices for the Quality Control Lab. Following the laboratory workshop, technical presentations will discuss how to establish a microbiology program, how to intentionally introduce and manage microbes in your brewery, and barrel microbiology. Vendor exhibits and networking opportunities will be offered during registration, dinner, and during social hour. An advanced workshop is available for hands-on training in cutting-edge biotechnology for microbial detection. Those who register for the advanced workshop will be contacted about two weeks before the event with instructions on sample submission.
University of the Sciences
McNeil Science and Technology Center
600 S. 43rd St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Friday, March 10th, 2017
Full Day: ASBC members $50 | Non-members $80
Evening Only: ASBC members $20 | Non-members $50
1:00 - 2:00pm Registration / Sponsor Expo
2:00 - 5:00pm Lab Workshop OR Advanced Workshop
5:00 - 6:30pm Dinner / Sponsor Expo
6:30 - 8:00pm Technical Presentations
8:00 - 9:00pm Networking
Lab Workshop Activities:
- Microscopy Review
- Sampling and Plating Methods
- Selective media examples with bacteria and wild yeast samples
- Identification methods
- Discussion of critical sample points
Hands-on Advanced Workshop:
- brewPAL: a simple, accurate, and cost-efficient PCR method for rapid detection and quantification of beer spoilage organisms in only three hours by Invisible Sentinel
- Fully automated, affordable, and simultaneous detection and identification of multiple contaminants in beer by Rheonix
- How to Set up a Microbiology program; Aimee Garlit, Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
- Barrel Microbiology; John Stemler, Nate Walter, and Colleen Rakowski, Free Will Brewing Co.
- Intentional introduction of bacteria in the brewery; Marisa Egan, Victory Brewing Co.
Thank You Sponsors