July 17 – July 21, 2023, Colorado State University
Fort Collins, Colorado, U.S.A.
Kelly Tretter, New Belgium Brewing Company
Jeff Callaway, Fermentation Science & Technology, Colorado State University
Is this course right for me?
Do you want to learn more about the science of brewing? Maybe your brewery is interested in improving its quality program or you are tasked with creating a quality department from scratch. Are you in need of a network of industry experts to call on when problems arise? This course may be just what you are looking for.
This course, offered by the American Society of Brewing Chemists (ASBC) in conjunction with Colorado State University, will give attendees the tools to demystify the quality process by combining educational lectures with hands-on laboratory work and networking opportunities.
Tackling your real-world quality issues from brewing to packaging, industry experts will define the what, why, and how of quality brewing and take a deep dive into essential ASBC methods of analysis that should be used by breweries large and small.
What past attendees have to say...
“I'm new to the brewing world, so having this class really helped solidify my knowledge about the basics of brewing and some of the more technical analytical aspects as well. I ... was able to bring that familiarity and knowledge back to my job to make me more comfortable talking to clients, performing analyses, etc."
“The diversity of experience among the group of attendees was great, and the group was very engaged and asked a lot of great questions."
“I'm already applying information learned from colleagues in my lab work, ... and stepping up our sanitation program based on several things I picked up from the training."
“I learned a lot from the instructors but almost as much from my peers too."
Schedule & Course Topics
We are currently working on finalizing the 2023 course schedule.
Click here to view the 2018 course schedule in the meantime.
Course Fee and Registration
**Register by April 30, 2023 to receive the early registration discount. Space is limited due to the special nature of this hands-on course. You must be at least 21 years old to participate.
Early Registration (Before April 30)||
Registration (After April 30)|
|Registration + Membership||$2,145||$2,245|
Included with tuition:
- Lectures and hands-on practice using the Colorado State laboratory facilities
Tours of New Belgium Brewing Company & Gilded Goat Brewing Company
- Two group dinners at local brew halls
Not included with tuition:
- Meals outside of the course day
- Staying at the Hilton Fort Collins (425 W Prospect Rd, Fort Collins, CO 80526) will continue your course experience with networking opportunities outside of class times.
- A block of rooms has been reserved at the Hilton Fort Collins for the American Society of Brewing Chemists at CSU with a Sunday, July 16, 2023 arrival. Participants will be able to book in the block at the discounted group rate of $174.00 per room, per night for a standard room with one king or two double beds and discounted parking at $11.00 per vehicle, per night. The discounted rate and room block will be available through June 16, 2023 or until it is sold out, whichever happens first.
Reserve a Room
The most convenient airport is in Denver, CO.
For transportation options from Denver to Fort Collins, see the
Visit Fort Collins webpage.
Fort Collins is a very walkable city with several public transportation, rideshares as well as scooter and bike rentals.
The course site is about a 10-minute walk from the Hilton.
- Introduction to QA Management Systems
- Significance and Criticality
- Brief Overview of QA Management Systems
- Setting up Minimum Frequencies
- Understanding your risks
- What and when to check
- Reaction Plans
- In House Controls & Monitoring
- Laboratory Maintenance
- Creation of laboratory maintenance plan
- Organization Tools
- Roles & Responsibilities
- Critical Tasks
- Documentation and Controls
- SOP Management
- Internal Auditing
- Documentation Control
- Quality roles in Process Improvement and Root Cause Analysis
Meeting cancellations MUST be made by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and received no later than June 19, 2023. Cancellations received by this date are subject to a $100 processing fee. Registration and ticketed event cancellations received after June 19, 2023 are NOT subject to a refund. ASBC reserves the right to cancel the course if a sufficient number of registrations are not received by June 19, 2023. If ASBC cancels this course, your registration fee will be refunded in full. In the event ASBC cancels the course ASBC is not liable for nonrefundable airfares or ticket change penalties imposed by the airlines. By registering for this event, you agree to the cancellation and refund terms and conditions.