Call for Project Grant Proposals
Project topics include, but are not limited to, research on raw materials (malt, hops, yeast, water, adjuncts), fermentation, flavor, and stability. Projects can also focus on development or optimization of analytical/sensory/microbiological methods of analysis.
Grants will be awarded to support academic research in brewing science that is conducted at a not-for-profit academic institution (domestic and international). Principal investigators and students are urged to apply.
Review the project requirements and budget guidelines as noted below prior to submitting your proposal.
Research proposals could take in considerations of current scientific and technological challenges as well as common areas of interest. Examples of such potential themes could include those from the raw material end like analytical methodology, up-take mechanism and fate of smoke compounds in hops, biotransformation in barley and malt and their synergistic effects with hop compounds and yeast metabolism, and brewing technology innovation for enhancing malt-forward flavor and aroma development. Proposals at the beer end could consider addressing creation, measurement and sustaining of haze in beer, and more practical and reliable techniques for detecting food borne pathogens.
Grant funds may be used for the following:
- Student/investigator wages
- Analytical Services (in-house or outsourced)
- Approved travel (up to $2,000)
- Funds are not to be used for the purchase of capital equipment over $2,500
- No indirect costs allowed
REVIEW OF PROJECTS
Project submissions will be reviewed by members of the
ASBC Research Council
and will be judged on some of the following:
- Scientific merit—will it lead to an advancement in brewing science?
- Hypothesis—can the hypothesis be tested and is it well defined? Is there a clear knowledge of the subject area?
- Can the work be completed in the proposed timeframe?
SUBMIT YOUR PROPOSAL
Grant proposal submissions for 2023 funding are due on May 15, 2023.
Online application form completed that includes:
- Project Title
- Project Introduction (250 words or less)
- Project Objectives
- Project Timeline (uploaded as a pdf file, no more than 3 pages)
- Publication/Communication Plan of Results
- Budget Proposal (include total amount requesting, as well as any other potential matching funds)
- Contact information of additional entities providing funding.
Contact Linda Schmitt at ASBC
Previous Funded Projects and Sponsors
Thanks to our sponsors, ASBC has been able to fund numerous projects over the years. As a Research Council sponsor you'll have access to the funded research results.
View Previous Grant Recipients and Sponsors
|September 2022 - February 2023||Call for 2023 Research Council Sponsors|
Call for 2023 project submissions opens
|Mid-February 2023||2022 grant recipients present their mid-year report to Research Council|
|May 15, 2023|
2023 Project submissions deadline
2023 project submissions reviewed by Research Council
|June 2023||2023 grantees announced to membership|
2023 grant funds distributed to recipients
Final summary report from 2022 grant recipients due to Research Council
|December 2023||Call for 2024 sponsors opens|
Call for 2024 project submissions opens
*timeline subject to change